Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 10, 2021

944 Turbos... The new Hot Wheels casting of one of my favorite cars is awesome. ...But can it compete with the Original Matchbox version???

I've always wanted a 944 Turbo.  It was the hot car when I was in high school - cheaper but faster than a 911 Carrera, and with classic late '80s looks.  So when Hot Wheels released a retro 944 turbo this year - in both red and gold - and maybe more colors to come - I went crazy over it.  The shape is just right, the wheels are cool, etc.  


But the Matchbox version from the Matchbox Toys International era is the OG, and one of my favorite castings from that time.  So is the new How Wheels version it's equal?






























Simply put, no.  It's no comparison at all.  Pulling out the Matchbox version - in red, green and amazing yellow - let alone the premium red version - instantly shows that the Matchbox is way better.  The 2 castings are almost identical in size - and both are nicely detailed - but the all-metal construction of the Matchbox gives it much more of a quality heft, the Matchbox has opening doors, and the soft suspension of the Matchbox (vs. the rock-hard ride of the new Hot Wheels) all conspire to eliminate any hope of a close competition.  


It doesn't make me love the Hot Wheels any less.  It's a great model.  And I'm thrilled with Hot Wheels for bringing out these retro cars.  I just love the Matchbox castings more!  


No comments:

Post a Comment