Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Coolest of the un-cool Mustang IIs? Johnny Lighning Mustang 2 Race Car!

Few cars in history went from universally loved to universally reviled, the way that the '65 first generation Ford Mustang turned into the '74 2nd generation Mustang II...

Based on a Pinto.  Underpowered.  Ugly...  Etc...

But just because it's a great car in real life, doesn't mean it'll be a great model.  And the reverse is true too.   Awful, ugly cars can be great when reproduced in small scale.

I've got 2-3 Mustang IIs in my collection.  Some are just as awful as the real car.  But not this race car....  This one is one nice Johnny Lightning!

Mettal base...  nice front and rear extensions....   Nice side extensions...  great paint....  amazing metal casting detail....  Nice side exit exhausts....  Great rims....

In fact, the only issue I can really find with it is the size - it's a little large for such a little car...


This model also came in some other colors - I remember seeing it in white, and I think there was a darker grey version - with more contrast in the colors.  At the time, $2.99 or $3.99 seemed like too much to pay for a color variation - but now I wish that I'd bought them! 


No comments:

Post a Comment